The Pros and Cons of Online Eyelash Extension Training
During the current unprecedented and emotional times due to the COVID-19 virus, many students are looking at online education as an answer to the “stay-at-home” orders most states have implemented. While online education has been around for a while, it is not a solution in every industry. While learning online without leaving your home may sound enticing and works very effectively for many professions, beauty industry institutions and educators would like to offer some advice. Be cautious of investing in online education before doing your research and knowing the facts.
Beware of some “quick” and “cheap” online lash education options popping up everywhere over the past few months. Many scammers are out there, trying to take advantage of our vulnerability during the current situation. If you do choose to proceed with an online class, please read the provider’s reviews, make sure they are accredited with the BBB, look at their work on social media and contact anyone who has obtained their education through this source. There are good options out there, however, please do your homework.
Before proceeding into additional details, here is a list of Pros associated with online education for eyelash extensions and eyelash lift:
- The class cost is generally less expensive.
- No travel required, training could be completed in the comfort of your home.
- During a virus outbreak like the current COVID-19 epidemic, you will avoid crowded classrooms, keeping social distancing.
- The theory part of lash training can be covered in an online environment.
- Combination of Online and In-Class Training pioneered by Pearl Lash would greatly increase the quality of education and reduce the learning curve.
Unfortunately, there are many Cons when it comes to online eyelash education, here are some of them:
- Lack of hands-on experience. Most online eyelash classes consist of an instructor working on a model or mannequin while the students are expected to follow her instructions at home. Unless the class comes with an option of coming into class at a later date, it might be challenging for new students.
- No live models allowed. (if an online class is allowing live models, beware of a scam!) Due to the safety precautions, an online instructor is not in the position to allow any students to work on live models. Keep in mind, you are most likely performing this service for the first time in your life, using dangerous chemicals, sharp instruments, and various client conditions. In an event of something going wrong, an online instructor would be powerless.
- Insurance and liability. Every educational institution must carry a form of insurance to cover any unexpected events during classroom training. In the online education world, no insurance companies allow or cover any remote hands-on practice, leaving you, the student, unprotected and responsible for any outcome.
- No professional evaluation of your work. Based on the above, at the end of your online training, you will most likely have a ton of questions like; how did I do? Which areas should I work on to improve? What should I do differently to achieve a certain result? Was my placement, isolation, lash selection done properly? While Pearl Lash Online Training provides many avenues to interact and follow up with the Master Trainer, generally, most online training options will have a limited ability to provide this type of information due to technology. A camera and screen will never substitute the human eye, especially when you are dealing with such a detailed process closely resembling watchmaking.
- Unlimited amount of students. Based on our experience, many online classes can fill up with upwards of 20-30 students which makes it extremely hard to ask any questions or receive much attention from the instructor. You are more often left with one-way communication from the instructor without an ability to ask many questions or receive any feedback. Pearl Lash Online classes are always limited to 8 students as we try to keep an intimate atmosphere and some personal touch.
- No classroom interaction. Most of us do not realize how important social peer interaction is to a new lash artist. In an online class, you will be sitting by yourself in front of your computer. Based on the experience of our Pearl Lash trainers, students love interacting, sharing their experiences, bouncing ideas off each other, reviewing each other’s work, encouraging their peers work and so much more.
Based on the experience of our Master Trainers, online-only lash education significantly lowers the chances of a successful career. Dozens of currently Pearl Lash Certified Lash Artists who initially elected to start with online training have come back to retake our classes.
Almost unanimously the reaction is incredible. We get a lot of “That is not even close to what I experienced online” and “I wish I would have known about it before I decided to take an online class”.
From the words of our Master Trainers, we can tell that students from online classes are not ready for the challenges that lay ahead of them in this profession. Most online classes elect to skip tons of extremely useful information due to impracticality of providing this information online. This results in students needing to go back to square one and fill in many gaps in their knowledge during the classroom environment. That was the main reason why our team at Pearl Lash decided to elevate the training experience by pioneering Online + Classroom training. It is a 2-in-1 combination class that allows the students to experience the best of both worlds. We believe this is the future in Eyelash Extension education. Register today to find out for yourself.